Friday, May 23, 2008

Really? Did she just say that?

Yesterday afternoon I spent a good while trying to get Abbott down for a nap he so desperately needed. I finally got him to sleep when about 5 minutes later, Roxie starts barking like crazy. I step outside to see her standing at the back fence barking viciously at two older women, our neighbors, randomly walking in the alley. They were talking to her and trying to be nice, but it was just egging her on. I called Roxie and she stopped barking but then the two ladies felt it necessary to strike up a conversation. One of them said, "Wow! I can't believe how much your dog has grown since you got her!" She was fully grown when we got her...I don't know what she was talking about, but I said, "Yeah! She sure is getting big!" Then she says, "How's that baby?" I say, "Oh, he's doing pretty well...he's getting bigger too!" This is what comes next, "Honey, you still look like you pregnant!" Flustered, I replied, "Thanks." Then the other lady....the one with the big ole' belly, she taps her belly and says, "Don't worry. It'll all go away soon."

Really? You and your giant belly give me so much hope. Thanks.

3 comments:

Jami said...

Awesome. Some people know just what to say!

Cornelius Crew said...

sometimes people just need to keep their mouths shut. What's the saying "if you can't say something nice, shut up" Well, It's something like that anyway....I've had similar experience with each pregnancy... you're not alone

emilyspeech said...

I love your blogs. They make me smile. So...he is now 2 and 1/2 months old and I've still not met the little guy!!! I'd love to get together...let me know